Thursday, April 22, 2010

Survey Says...

So I've been reading Martha, and wandering around the house trying to decide where to start.
I noticed we have piles of laundry in various states every where. At the foot of my bed, in the sorting bins. A pile of my uniform coats and blacks on the guest bed waiting to be hung in that closet. Clean towels on the table in the hallway waiting to go in the disorganized linen closet. Coats and sweaters draped over the back of the chair by the door. And worst of all the two stacks of laundry basket and empty diaper boxes full of clean laundry that has not been folded or put away. Hubby refers to this hot mess as Mount Clothesmore. It usually builds up untill I can't find an item and have a hissy fit, then we spend a perfectly good Sunday afternoon sorting folding hanging and putting away, after we are done we look at one another and vow to not let it happen again.
Next to the bathroom (which needs a contractor, not just habit changing and elbow grease) the laundry room and doing laundry is the most irksome part of my home keeping existence, possibly even the root of the problem, so with the laundry I begin.
The laundry room is not fully a laundry room, its also part storage space, this area hides a lot of our pack rat tendencies.
Some how I have to separate the two areas, and getting access to the door and stairs that lead out the back yard would be awesome to make use of the clothesline that is now just wrapped around the tree.
The sorting bins I bought are great in theory, each section has room for one load of wash, run the load and put it away when it is full... we never seem to get to the put away part. There is no room to hang the things that need to be hung up out of the dryer, or for the drying rack for drip dry items.
This weekend I tackle the beast, laundry put away, clean out the junk, make use able space for tasks, and passable space to the 1/2 bath and back door.
Then begin to force myself and hubby to complete a load of wash from washing to putting away.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you may have more stuff than you really have room for. We moved around a lot when I was married so I got into the habit of throwing out things that we just had no need of. I think I need to start a business where I help people minimize and organize their homes LOL good luck!

    ReplyDelete